The amendments to MARPOL Annex V were adopted by Res. MEPC 265(68) and Res. MEPC 277(70), respectively. In this regard, this classification society would like to inform of the amendments to MARPOL Annex V and revised form of Garbage Record Book. In particular, revised Garbage Record Book reflecting the Res. MEPC 277(70) shall be provided onboard prior to the date of entry into force(1st March 2018). Consequently, Shipowners and operators are requested to pay attention to the following information on the amendments.
1. Amendments to Form of Garbage Record Book related Polar Code
- MARPOL Annex V was amended by Res. MEPC 265(68) with a view to including environment-related provisions of the Polar Code, which entered into force on 1st January 2017.
.1 Paragraph 4.1.3 of the existing form of Garbage record book was amended as following:
“When garbage is discharged into the sea in accordance with regulations 4, 5 or 6 of MARPOL Annex V or chapter 5 of part II-A of the Polar Code"
2. Amendments to MARPOL Annex V related to solid bulk cargoes as harmful to the marine environment (HME) and Form of Garbage Record Book
- This amendments adopted by Res. MEPC 277(70) will enter into force on 1 st March 2018. Details of changes are as follows:
.1 Amendments to requirements for discharge of garbage (Reg. 4 and 6)
.2 Amendments to reporting requirements to align with form of garbage record book which will be renumbered from Appendix to Appendix II. (Reg.10)
.3 Enactment of new Appendix I (Criteria for the classification of solid bulk cargoes as harmful to the marine environment)
.4 Amendments to Form of Garbage Record Book In particular, record of garbage discharges will be divided into 2 Parts as follows:
(a) Part I : All garbages other than cargo residues as defined in MARPOL Annex V (All ships) · “E-waste” is newly included in garbage categories. · Amendments to table layout for recording the garbage discharge · New table layout for recording exceptional discharge or loss of garbage is separated from existing table
(b) Part II : Cargo Residues (Ships that carry soild bulk cargoes)
3. Measures for ships to which MARPOL Annex V apply
- The Garbage Record Book shall be revised in accordance with these amendments not later than the above date of entry into force(1st March 2018). In addition, shipowners / operators are invited to reflect these amendments in Garbage Management Plan and Garbage Placard, and educate ship’s crews accordingly.
- The relevant documents required by the MARPOL Annex V (Garbage Management Plan, Garbage Placard and Garbage Record Book) are not subject to approval by Administration or classification society. Therefore, ship owners are requested to revise the relevant documents autonomously and provide them.